Posts tagged Tyler Perry
This movie is so bad Vivica Fox decided to use an alias.
Which says a lot considering she was in Juwanna Man, Booty Call, Don’t Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood — I could go on but do I really need to? I wish I had taken a photo of the first screen of the description of this movie. It said something to the effect of “Combining the best aspects of Beauty Shop and Barbershop, this film…” Exhale. Not only does it fall short of honoring these — what in comparison to this movie seem like — cinematic masterpieces, it tries way too hard to tackle way too many societal issues. I didn’t watch from the beginning, but in the time I was watching the characters addressed:
- Corruption within the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
- Why it took being demeaned by Billy Bob Thornton for a Black woman to win an Oscar
- The unfairness of Don’t Ask Don’t Tell
- Gay bashing
- Domestic and emotional abuse
- Women who “use their bodies as commodities” in order to get expensive gifts
- A history lesson on the contributions of Black inventors to American society.
Oh, and there were pimps and ho’s too.
It was 10x preachier than any Tyler perry movie or sitcom episode — if that’s even possible. I kept expecting Keenan Ivory Wayans to pop out of nowhere and scream “Message” in the middle of the scenes like he did here:
And if all that contrived morality weren’t bad enough, there were White women getting their hair cornrowed in the salon.
In conclusion, this mess of a movie was 92 minutes too long.
That is all.